Monday, March 11, 2019

Swallowing pride... and asking for help!


Dear Friends,

As you know, the past year has been tough for me on the horse front. In the spring, Swag had finally made it to the preliminary level and was on track for his first CCI* event when he was injured just before our first cross country run of the year. The injury was career ending and was not anything that could have been predicted or prevented. Swag has always had my heart, he’s just a horse with a big personality. He would be that popular kid at school who’s good looking, without being obnoxious. He’d be on the football team, or maybe water polo, class president, homecoming king, while still being everyone's best friend. So while I miss him, I am happy to report that my handsome boy has been sending me updates and is very much loved and is doing well, which is all I ever could have hoped for.

After Swag got hurt, I spent the summer focusing on building my business, promoting the fabulous barn I’m fortunate enough to work from, and really just spending a lot of time helping my student and their horses progress. I always knew I’d get another horse. For months I looked at ads, went to the track, even vetted one that was by the same sire as Swag. But at the end of the day, there was always something not quite right and I found myself holding out for something more. Then one day, the ad for Bert popped up, and his crocked star, stripe and snip were the mirror image of Swag. There was no price on the ad, so my assumption was he was more than I could afford. But with a gut feeling, I made a call and spoke to his trainer at the track. The way she described him was so much like Swag I knew I had to have him. I bit the bullet and bought him sight unseen (at least not seen in person). He arrived about 2 weeks later and he was everything I’d hoped for. A lovely floaty mover, with springs in his legs, bold, brave, and confident, with the sweetest personality to match. And then Bert too, got hurt.

I’d say horse people are in general, superstitious. I for one swear by my lucky socks. I think it’s also in our nature to say things like; “things happen for a reason”, “it wasn’t meant to be” or “when one door closes another one opens”. So in light of the recent events, its only natural to have these thoughts pass through my head and it gets me to thinking what bigger, better, more exciting thing could there be next? Which brings me to my main point. I need help (that’s a loaded statement isn’t it!). Let me clarify, I need help to acquire my “next” horse.

I have an idea in motion to acquire a horse, but what I need now is a person/people who would be willing to help me finance this venture. I don’t necessarily need someone to cover the everyday/monthly expenses, it’s the purchase price I need help with. Asking for help is an uncomfortable feeling, but I’m swallowing my pride and am putting it out there, because if you don’t ask, the answer will always be no. The specifics aren’t something I want to discuss publicly at the moment, so if anyone wants more info on what I’m thinking or what is potentially involved, please don’t hesitate to send me a message and I’ll fill you in. Asking me about it is in no way a commitment (it never hurts to ask!) any help, no matter how small is still genuinely appreciated. In the meantime I’m continuing to teach and bake (bake sale at the next jump clinic?!?) and will keep pushing forward as I always do.

For more info, you can email me: megkfinn@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment